Friday, 3 December 2010

Friday quotes - Diana Vreeland




"You gotta have style.  It helps you get up in the morning.  It's a way of life.  Without it you're nobody.  And I'm not talking about a lot of clothes"

Diana Vreeland
(1903 -1989)

Diana Vreeland was the most influential magazine editor of the last century. Working as fashion editor at Harper's Bazaar and Editor-in-Chief of American Vogue, she was described as "The century's most formidable arbiter of elegance."  Her passion, wit and style genius energised and inspired the fashion world for five decades.

Here are some of her quotes.  I think she's marvellous.  If you don't know much about her, the books on her are a joy to read.

Photography by Bill King

"The only real elegance is in the mind;
If you've got that, the rest really comes from it"


"Elegance is innate.  It has nothing to do with being well dressed.  Elegance is refusal"


"The two greatest mannequins of the century were Gertrude Stein and Edith Sitwell - unquestionably.  You just couldn't take a bad picture of those two old girls"

"As you know, the French like the French very much"

"The best thing about London is Paris"

"Balenciaga did the most delicious clothes.  Clothes aren't delicious anymore"

"In Balenciaga you were the only woman in the room - no other woman existed"


"I loathe narcissism, but I approve of vanity"

"From the time I got married at eighteen until the time I went to work in 1937, twelve years - I read.  Reed [Vreeland] and I would read things together out loud, which was marvellous.  That was the charm of it - when you've heard the word it means so much more than if you've only seen it"

Photography by Priscilla Rattazzi

"I think your imagination is your reality"


"I'm terrible on facts.  But I always have an idea.  If you have an idea, you're well ahead"


"Never worry about the facts.
Just present an image to the public"


"Without emotion there is no beauty"

"The idea of beauty was changing.  If you had a bump on your nose, it made no difference so long as you had a marvellous body and a good carriage.  You held your head high and were a beauty... You knew how to water-ski, and how to take a jet plane in the morning, arrive anywhere and be anyone when you got off"

Photography by Arnold Newman

"Never fear being vulgar, just boring"

Photography by Arnold Newman

"All my life I've pursued the perfect red.  I can never get painters to mix it for me.  It's exactly as if I'd said, 'I want Rococo with a spot of Gothic in it and a bit of Buddhist temple'" 

"I'm a great believer in vulgarity - if it's got vitality.  A little bad taste is like a nice splash of paprika.  We all need a splash of bad taste - it's hearty it's healthy, it's physical.  I think we could use more of it.  NO taste is what I'm against"

Talking about her Park Avenue, NY sitting room designed by Billy Baldwin

"I wanted it to look like a garden.
A garden in hell"

"Too much good taste can be boring"


"Poor, darling fellow - he died of food.  He was killed by the dinner table"

"I adore pink!  It's the navy blue of India"

Photography by Andy Warhol

"Nothing gives the luxury of pearls.  Keep them in mind"


"What do I think about the way most people dress?
Most people are not something one thinks about"


"Fashion must be the intoxicating release from the banality of the world"


"Is there anything beyond fashion?"

Diana Vreeland
(1903 -1989)


Have a fantastic Friday xxx


For lots more Friday quotes click HERE
Then scroll down and click on 'Older Posts'


24 comments:

sacramento said...

What a wonderfu, wonderful post.
I love all the quoted but above all:
"Never fear being vulgar, just boring" Its is soooooooooooooo me, ahhhhh
"I think your imagination is your reality"

Elegance is innate. It has nothing to do with being well dressed. Elegance is refusal"
I am in tears, sooooooooooooooooooo good.
Thank you my dear, dear friend for this present.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Please, please consider getting rid of the WORD VERIFICATION- Such a waste of time...

Christina @ Fashion's Most Wanted said...

Dear Sacramento, (I don't know what to call you?), hope you're good.

I'm so pleased you liked them. She was a brilliant woman wasn't she?

Click on Friday quotes for lots more.

I have removed word verification, you're right it's an absolute waste of time xx

Dash said...

Brilliant, She was a 'Tour de Force' her quotes are bang on, living in France I particularly like "As you know, the French like the French very much" so true.
XXX

Christina @ Fashion's Most Wanted said...

Dear Dash, that made me laugh too and "The best thing about London is Paris!" Have a great day, have you had any more snow? xx

Dash said...

The weather is really closing in, it's gone all grey and in the last hour the snow has really started to come down.
X

Young at Heart said...

oooh think I shall be Diana for a day......give my life a bit of perspective!! Hope you're well and warm....

Christina @ Fashion's Most Wanted said...

Dear Dash, how exciting! Well, it is if you don't have to go anywhere and you have plenty of supplies. Stay warm, it's freezing here! xx

Dear Jo, yes, wasn't her perspective wonderful. I love it.

I shall be leaving the house in a cab only to run into the bank and the Post Office, that's it today.

I promise to call you and make a date xx

sacramento said...

Do you post twice a day, ahhhhhhhhhhhhh?????Impossible to catch up.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

sacramento said...

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh no WORD VERIFICATION yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Alex said...

What marvellous quotes. Love the one about the changing idea of beauty. I much prefer interesting faces to what's classed as beautiful nowadays. Hark at me sounding like an old biddy!!

I do enjoy a bit of vulgarity - probably too much by her standards but then I never claimed I was ever elegant!

Oh Christina you are a gem. Don't go out in the snow if it's dangerous though please - I'm v. excited for my parcel but I can wait!

That's Not My Age said...

Fabulous woman. Love, love, love her style and her wit - though I think she was wrong about London! Hope all's good in snowy Dalston.

Penny Dreadful said...

Wasn't she WONDERFUL. I love all her quotes, expecially her views on inner style and bad taste. And she lived what she spoke too - her style is incredible and ineffeably HER without the designer being important. Unlike some (rather vile) modern fashion editors I could name. xx

Make Do Style said...

Fabulous!! Love her xx

Mrs. Exeter said...

Amazing woman - I love the mischief of her. Fave quote here 'The best thing about London is Paris' - hilarious!

DesignedByName said...

Great post!!!

www.designedby.name

Poetry Is Life said...

perfect red is perceptive right?

lula said...

Very nice post! Diana Vreeland was a formidable woman.
Come check out my blog at http://nakedlimabean.blogspot.com/

kiss kiss bang bang

Wildernesschic said...

For such and unattractive woman... sorry but she is... she has some great quotes and is extremely elegant xx

MyStyle said...

Hi my dear-what a funny wonderful tribute post, such quaint, quirky and stylish quotes, they all did make me smile!! xx

Faux Fuchsia said...

God she was Wonderful. I love it that she had a crocheted Granny square rug in her garden in hell living room. It makes me sad that naughty Reed kept all those mistresses and fancy women...Apparently it made Ole DV feel very sad and insecure. I hope you own Allure and all the other books too xxx

MilaneseGAL said...

Christina! This was a true gift... DV is a permanent present in my reading nightstand. Beautiful post darling!

Liz.Blog said...

What else can be said? Diana Vreeland lived an extraordinary life, immensely creative, always fashionable, artistic and as brilliant as she spoke. Thank you for posting her remarkable
quotes and dazzling photographs!
If you missed her illustrated biography, a taste of it here: http://bit.ly/iazCzo

laura said...

She's just amazing i love her!! everything she says is inspiring. there's actually a new website about her www.dianavreeland.com

Elizabeth Mitchell said...

I know this is a very old post of yours but today a watched a documentary on Diana Vreeland and find her utterly inspirational. Her quote"You gotta have style. It helps you get up in the morning. It's a way of life. Without it you're nobody. And I'm not talking about a lot of clothes" I believe eptomizes style.

I would love for you to look at my blog http://thelittleboxofstyle.blogspot.co.uk/